Thursday, November 29, 2007

Suddenly Suzyn: Suze's Take on Santana

Welcome back everyone to another addition of Suddenly Suzyn. Or as I like to refer to it 'here comes Suze with the Yankee news you can use." Like it? I am trying out new catchphrases for next season. I've narrowed it down to that or Suzy Shootin Shit. Let me know what you think.

I hope all my readers had a fantastic Thanksgiving. I know I certainly did. It's not every day I get to kick back, unloosen the belt on my Fashion Bug slacks, and gorge myself on turkey and all the fixings. Feasts like this only come around on Thanksgiving, during Chanakau, on road trips, sunday night all you can eats, and whenever my co-host John Sterling picks up the tab. (I am kidding Johnny, you know I love you. Maybe I could talk a little more this season? No? Ok, well I'll let you think about it over the winter.)

I'd like to discuss the rumblings regarding the Yankees and their pursuit of Minnesota Twins pitcher Johan Santana. Now, being a Yankee broadcaster, I would be the last to criticize any of the moves of the front office, coaching staff, players, concession stand managers or parking lot attendants. That's just not how we do things here in the boogie down Bronx (my nephew taught me that phrase. Isn't that adorable?) But in my heart of hearts I don't think this is a smart move for the Yankees.

My main issue with the Santana deal is that he is much too young. He will be 29 in March. That's just not enough major league experience for my liking. We need someone older and more sturdy. Someone, nearing their forties with one good year left in the tank. Didn't Joe Girardi say at this first press conference that he will except nothing less than winning the World Series this season? Then wouldn't the team benefit from a pitcher saving his best for last then someone who might be good for the next four or five seasons. Forget the future, win now!

And let's look at the free agent pool. When names like Clemens, Pettitte, Wells, Weaver, and Lieber are available, you shouldn't have to think twice to sign anyone of those former Yankee aces. Hell we could sign them all and have the 2003 staff all over again. I don't mean to curse but I just don't know how we can let proven pinstripers like that pass us by. Maybe they will be mid-season signings and they can announce them one by one from Hank Steinbrenners box. OH MY GOODNESS (get a hold of yourself Suze. You're not Walter Kronkite but you are a journalist. Excuse me 'journal-woman.' )

I think the smart move would be to let Santana sign with the Red Sox. Think about all the pitchers they will have. Santana, Beckett, Dice-K, Schilling, Lester, Buckholz, Wakefield. That's too many. THEY WILL NEVER KNOW WHO TO START! Oh god, sometimes I am just so devilish, I can't help it.

Well, that's all for this week. I am trying to set up an interview with GM Brian Cashman, but I just can't get his timing down and he is never in the men's room when I check.

Toodles,
Suzyn Waldman

No comments: