Saturday, April 26, 2008

ESPN: No Fun Police

I turned on ESPN around 12:40 p.m. today because for some reason I thought the draft started at 12:30 p.m. I was wrong. It must have been the pre-pre-draft show because there is a bunch of talking heads blowing more wind about the NFL draft.

I love the NFL draft. One of the best days in sports. This year though something is turning me off. It might be the five different mock drafts on SI.com with four different versions or the assortment of mock drafts on the WWL website with corresponding 8.0’s.

Either way, what irked me to write this post with an hour to go before the beginning of the draft that has been hyped up since before the Super Bowl is the fact that at 12:40 p.m. ESPN had determined by themselves (with help from the Dolphins) the first four picks of the draft.

What does this add? How does this benefit me that you have your reporters snooping around the halls of these establishments figuring out who they are going to pick three hours before the start of the draft?

I sincerely hope that the teams have played the reporters like a fiddle, and Michael Smith’s breaking news on the Rams selecting Chris Long is total BS. Then, the corresponding reports that the Falcons will select Matt Ryan and Oakland Darren McFadden. Please be using these jackhole reporters as pawns.

If I were a fan of St. Louis, Atlanta and Oakland geared up to watch the draft and have ESPN already telling me who they are going to select three hours beforehand, I would be pissed. It’s a good way for ESPN to drive away viewership of their highly publicized draft event.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see what this adds for the fans. All I see is a more cocksure Michael Smith showing how he can “work” a source to get information.

Am I wrong here?

No comments: