Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Thanksgiving 32

Every season, classic rock stations across the country do a variation of a "Holiday 500," where they count down the top classic rock songs ever. How this ordered list changes for songs at least 10-15 years old is beyond us. Regardless, we match one of Rolling Stone's top 32 songs of all time to the NFL teams it and it's money lyric most reflects. (Rolling Stone rank in parentheses.)

NFL Power Ranking courtesy of our friends at NE Patriots Draft.

32. Detroit Lions

Satisfaction, The Rolling Stones (2)
And i'm tryin' to make some girl
Who tells me baby better come back later next week

'cause you see i'm on losing streak
31. Kansas City Chiefs

Imagine, John Lennon (3)
Nothing to kill or die for.
30. Cincinnati Bengals

London Calling, The Clash (15)
But when we were talking-I saw you nodding out
"This will make good pillow."

29. St. Louis Rams

Stairway To Heaven, Led Zeppelin (31)
There’s a feeling I get
When I look to the west.
28. Oakland Raiders

(Sittin on) the Dock of the Bay, Otis Redding (28)
I left my home in Georgia
Headed for the 'Frisco bay
27. San Francisco 49ers

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana (9)
Load up on guns
Bring your friends

Its fun to lose

And to pretend
26. Cleveland Browns

What's Going On, Marvin Gaye (4)
Picket lines and picket signs
Don't punish me with brutality
Talk to me, so you can see
Oh, what's going on

25. Seattle Seahawks

Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan (1)
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone?
24. Houston Texans

Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys (6)
I dont know where but she sends me there
23. Jacksonville Jaguars

I Walk the Line, Johnny Cash (30)
You've got a way to keep me on your side
You give me cause for love that I can't hide
For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide
Because you're mine, I walk the line
22. Philadelphia Eagles

God Only Knows, The Beach Boys (25)
If you should ever leave me
Though life would still go on believe me

The world could show nothing to me

So what good would living do me

21. San Diego Chargers

Hound Dog, Elvis Presley (19)
When they said you was high classed, Well, that was just a lie.
20. Denver Broncos

Yesterday, The Beatles (13)
Suddenly,
I'm not half the man I used to be,
There's a shadow hanging over me,
Oh, yesterday came suddenly.
19. Green Bay Packers

In My Life, The Beatles (23)
Though i know i'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before

I know i'll often stop and think about them


18. Minnesota Vikings

A Change Is Gonna Come, Sam Cooke (12)
Somebody keep telling me don't hang around
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will
17. Buffalo Bills

Layla, Derek and the Dominos (27)
Like a fool, I fell in love with you,
Turned my whole world upside down.
16. New Orleans Saints

Purple Haze, Jimi Hendrix (17)
Lately things just dont seem the same
Actin funny, but I dont know why
scuse me while I kiss the sky
15. Miami Dolphins

My Generation, The Who (11)
People try to put us d-down
(Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around
14. Chicago Bears

Hey Jude, The Beatles (8)
For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

13. Dallas Cowboys


What'd I Say, Ray Charles (10)
Tell your mama, tell your pa
I'm gonna send you back to Arkansas

12. Baltimore Ravens

Blowin' in the Wind, Bob Dylan (14)
How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?

11. Arizona Cardinals

Help!, The Beatles (29)

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.


10. Atlanta Falcons

Be My Baby, The Ronettes (22)
I'll make you so proud of me
We'll make 'em turn their heads


9. Washington Redskins

Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen (21)
Chrome wheeled, fuel injected
8. Carolina Panthers

I Want to Hold Your Hand, The Beatles (16)
Oh please say to me
You'll let me be your man
7. New England Patriots

Respect, Aretha Franklin (5)

I ain't gonna do you wrong while you're gone


6. Indianapolis Colts

Let It Be, The Beatles (20)
And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me, shine until tomorrow, let it be.
5. Tampa Bay Bucs

A Day in the Life, The Beatles (26)
I read the news today oh, boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
4. Pittsburgh Steelers

Maybellene, Chuck Berry (18)
You've started back doin' the things you used to do
3. Tennessee Titans

Sympathy for the Devil, The Rolling Stones (32)
Please allow me to introduce myself
Im a man of wealth and taste
Ive been around for a long, long year

Stole many a mans soul and faith

2. New York Jets

People Get Ready, The Impressions (24)
People get ready, there's a train a comin'
You don't need no baggage, you just get on board

All you need is faith to hear the diesels hummin'

Don't need no ticket, you just thank the Lord
1. New York Giants

Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry (7)
His mother told him "Someday you will be a man,
And you will be the leader of a big old band.

1 comment:

Tracer Bullet said...

You forgot the critical next line of "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay."

I've got nothin' left to live for
Looks like nothin's gonna come my way