Friday, June 5, 2009

CR Dunbar's Belmont Stakes Preview

Lost in the shuffle of Stanley Cup Playoffs, NBA Finals and the new season of So You Think You Can Dance is the Belmont Stakes.

There is a reason that the third crown jewel has been responsible for shattering ballerina-type dreams for owners and trainers alike seeking the Triple Crown. The one and a half mile marathon requires that only iron men apply.

While Preakness runners do receive a respite of three weeks, their challengers are coming off four to five weeks rest. On top of that, horses like Mine that Bird will now run three times in five weeks. That's like watching four straight days of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here. Only the gifted can do it.

As readers know, I was a fan of Dunkirk in the Derby. I will probably bet on him again or go Stewie Griffin on him because he owes me a lot of money.



Although he is trudging through the Triple Crown, you can't discount Mine that Bird. He's earned being the favorite.

The wise guy horse, who I happen to like as well, is Charitable Man. He knows the lay of the land, well rested and has tactical speed (did I get that sentence from Hubie Brown?)

My long-shot long-faced fellow pick is Summer Bird. In the Belmont you need to keep an eye on the closers, and he is looking at me cock-eyed.

Betting Strategy:
Keep it simple with exacta box Dunkirk, Mine that Bird and Charitable Man


Follow us on Twitter
@HHReynolds or Click Here to get HHR in your inbox.

Have You Gotten Your BlogsWithBalls Tickets Yet?

No comments: