Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Waiting For Godunk: The Tall Guy Rules & Talkin' Turkey


My name is Kevin Owens and I have been playing professional basketball for the past six years. I decided to start a blog documenting my daily life. I have a degree in journalism and haven't written anything since college, so I figured why not. I don't particularly think I am that interesting, however when telling people about the traveling circus that is my life, they seem very entertained. I'll be contributing some of those stories once a week here at HHR. You can also now catch me on Twitter @Waiting4Godunk. Hope you enjoy!

------

I have some interesting news this week…

But first, yesterday, my wife and I took a trip to New York City. It was an enjoyable experience. While my wife had a meeting, I went into the only place in The Big Apple that I am familiar with; The Heartland Brewery. This has become my go-to spot in the city, considering my past three visits all included a stop here. They brew an amazing selection of beers, as well as serve a fine selection of food.

All in all it was a great trip. I watched an exciting Knicks-Pistons game, and I only hit my head on the subway once. Now I am used to hitting my head on a daily basis. The world is not meant for people of my stature, but when I hit my head in a crowded place I get fairly annoyed. The reason for my annoyance is because there is no cool way to hit your head. Here are my rules on head hitting…
  1. The first thing you do is lie. “What?...my head?...No that was my foot hitting the door.” (Unfortunately everyone in the entire train saw me grimace and grab my dome immediately after, so that won’t work.)
  2. Next you try the shocked look, like the inanimate object that has been in the same spot for years, suddenly threw itself at my unsuspecting head. (“I wonder when they installed this handle jutting out of the ceiling. Must have been shortly after the concept of engineering was discovered.”)
  3. After that, survey the scene. (Everyone on the train was looking in my direction. A few even grimacing in pain like they were the ones who nearly lost consciousness.)
  4. My final rule is acceptance. When you can no longer hide the fact that you are a walking time bomb, it is better to just grin and bear it. In baseball, when you get hit with a pitch, it is guy law not to rub it. Same goes for head hitting, it is better to gain equilibrium, take your seat, and quietly whisper to your wife that you may have a concussion.
Ok Ok…I know. I get it. Onto the news already! Nobody cares about your tall guy handbook. Point taken.

So, Tuesday I received a text from my agent telling me that a team in Turkey was interested. He told me to check my email. When I opened my hotmail account, I saw a forwarded message from a representative of the team with a provisional offer. After quickly Googling what provisional meant, I perused the offer some more. The money looked good, so I decided to accept.

I called my agent and told him to sign me up. He asked me when I would be able to leave. On the offer, I noticed they wanted me there ASAP. So I told him I could be ready the following day. He said he would pass along the information and we would know more in a few hours. We exchanged pleasantries and I started the process of packing everything I would need for the next three months.

First thing I usually do is make a list. This entails all the people I have to talk to, all the items I must buy and all the things I must pack before I leave. I then called my wife, telling her that she no longer has to watch sports every night since I will be in Turkey. Then I got to work making sure I took care of everything on my checklist.

After accomplishing some of the things on my list, I went to the gym to workout and shoot. It was during this time, nearly five hours since I had contact with my agent, that I began wondering what the deal was. After my workout I taught two basketball lessons and headed home. At that point I figured it was time to figure out what the H-E double hockey sticks was going on.

I suddenly had a Déjà vu moment. See, in early October, I had a very similar situation occur. I was sent an offer from a team in Sweden that progressed in a similar way. I received the offer early in the morning and by the following evening, the deal was off. Hopefully when I wake up in the morning I will have a travel itinerary waiting for me in my inbox.

This is the life of a professional basketball player. When a deal comes along you say goodbye to your house and your family to travel to a country you have never been to before. It’s kind of like being a spy without the nice suit and fancy gadgets.

So now again I am waiting. This time waiting for an offer that hopefully won’t get retracted.


Follow us on Twitter
@HHReynolds or Click Here to get HHR in your inbox.

No comments: