
Because Greenie says it's ok to.
I recently finished "Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot" by Mike Greenberg. Interesting read. While I am not really one to gravitate to sports books, I was able to read this one before Ren got to it, and I think that was smart.
I know that more often then not, I think Ren is an idiot for a wealth of reasons. This doesn't mean I don't love him. I love him tremendously, and I think he is intelligent, which is why it's frustrating that I can't comprehend the sense behind some of the things he does/says. It was extremely helpful to see this from a male perspective, and to understand how he might in turn view my thinking that he's an idiot.
Greenie basically reveals to the world, through a series of diary entries, what he seems to divulge in a more comical way via his show - that he is a nervous, over-analytical, metrosexual male who happens to be a sportscaster. There are a bunch of stories of personal embarassment, tales of becoming a father, dealing with various situations in home and on the road, and how sports has remained a constant for him in all of this and something that is very relatable.
The book isn't so much about sports; it really hits at the fact that no matter who you are or what it is you do for a profession and no matter how successful you are, you need to find what makes you happy in order to get through the day. Unless you can identify what it is that transcends all the "stuff" in your life, happiness will always seem elusive, and your life will never seem fulfilling. Not a new message, but one that was delivered in a different way, from a very charismatic messenger. His "idiocy" comes from the fact that he often times feels inadequate and unfulfilled and though he is happy with his life, he'll always try to analyze rather than accept the things that happen.
My only complaint, and it isn't much of a complaint, and he might be doing this to prove how much of a metrosexual he is, but he makes constant reference to various parts of his life that have to do with how wealthy he is. Whether it's the type of house he lives in, his affluent neighborhood, the fact that he has a live-in nanny, etc, Greenie, we know you have money. And we don't care. We love you anyway. And your book was good despite all of that, just something I noticed.
-posted by Ariel
No comments:
Post a Comment