Why would you care about NASCAR? You are a baseball fan or a football fan. You've never watched it on TV, get angry when SportsCenter does NASCAR highlights, and maybe even drive a foreign car (blasphemer). So, why would you want to spend your precious time reading some North Carolinian yellow-dog southern Baptist's take on the traditional redneck sport? Well, I'll give you 3 quick reasons, and then just challenge you to read my first post (below), and keep coming back for more.
1) NASCAR is American, and if you don't love America, then this blog's not for you, buddy. The Great American Race, hot dogs, beer, and rednecks. These are the very things that make America great, my friends.
2) NASCAR is raw power. 43 drivers in 135 degree 865 hp stock cars racing at close to 200 mph mere inches from each other, beating, banging, and sliding all over the race track. You do the math.
3) NASCAR is hands down the fastest growing sport in America. The NHL is dying a slow death. The NBA is a joke. Each year, NASCAR adds more and more fans, from all walks of life. There may even be a race track in NYC in the coming years.
Now that you are all recent converts to the greatest show on 4 wheels, I give you my (BK's) first post . . .
Hendrick: Junior will have new sponsor next season
Well, it looks like a marriage born in heaven will soon be coming to an end. Starting in 2008, Dale Jr. will not be driving the red Budweiser car that's made him so famous. Rumor has it that he might be in a Pepsi-sponsored car at his new team of Hendrick Motorsports. This is no small change for NASCAR and the legion of Jr fans in the stands and at home. Approximately 80% of NASCAR fans are clad in Dale Jr.'s bright red. When he storms to the lead, especially at places like Talladega and Richmond, a thunderous red tidal wave careens through the grandstands. Well, starting at Daytona in February, 2008, those red clad fans are going to have to deck themselves in some new color or risk being "behind the times". As if the typical NASCAR fan wasn't already a little behind the times in terms of fashion, but that's a post for another day.
Today is also a new day for me and my own loyalties in NASCAR. You see, I'm a big Dale Jr. fan. I too erupt in a cacophony of hoots-n-hollers that has to be translated for anyone not born in North Carolina when that beautiful red car surges to the lead. As such, I've always borne, shall we say, a bit of distaste for Jeff Gordon and his buddies at Hendrick Motorsports. In 2004, when NASCAR in effect gave Jeff the win over Junior at 'Dega, my hatred reached it's zenith. Since then, I've ranted about Jeff's shoving Matt Kenseth out of the way at Chicagoland, Jeff's whining about Jimmie racing him at Martinsville, and countless other "incidents". But last night I had a catharsis. Realizing Jeff would become Junior's teammate next year regardless of my personal feelings and maybe a little bit because I was nearing the end of my 3 mile run, I decided it was time to shelve my dislike of the driver of the 24 car. I mean, he does have a few things I can respect, right? He's won 5 championships. He's won almost 80 races. He's even won more races than Dale Earnhardt whom Jeff respected almost like a father-figure. It was NASCAR's Eagles vs. Giants for the '90's.
So, let this be an official announcement. I no longer hate Jeff Gordon. I ain't a fan, and I don't know that I can ever root for the 24, but I won't hate him. I'll have a competitor's respect for him, and hope he can bring the Hendrick Motorsports team success . . . but not till 2008.
And that's about all I got to say about that!
-posted by Rusty
No comments:
Post a Comment