Chicago Trib: U.S. Team Dumps Solo
Admittedly, I am not a big fan of soccer. I have also not followed the World Cup very closely, despite it being on every morning on just about every ESPN channel the last month.
I found it interesting that as I am reading SI this week and seeing the "what to watch" blurb about Hope Solo leading the US Team, that she is benched, despite her great play, for the sake of the veteran Briana Scurry.
Having dabbled in organized team athletics through college, I know there is something to be said about sportsmanship and team chemistry. I can see how Hope's teammates found her public reaction unforgivable.
There is also something to be said about inexplicable, unfounded favoritism and poor coaching decisions. Again, I am no expert in US Soccer, but imagine if Coach Ryan were coaching any other sport. What if in the strecth run an MLB manager skipped a hot young pitchers start for a more veteran guy who pitched well in the clutch three seasons ago, based on nothing but experience and past history? It would be unheard of.

No comments:
Post a Comment