Friday, September 19, 2008

Rev Picks 'Em: Week Four

Ol' Rev' went 7-3 last week, running the season record to a respectable 22-8 mark. Key among the wins last week were a pair of SEC matchups when we took both Georgia (at So. Carolina) and Auburn (at Miss. State) to win on the road. Road wins definitely do not come easy in the SEC - Auburn's brutal 3-2 win in Starkville is evidence of that.

There are some great matchups this week between ranked teams, so the top 25 will see some upheaval after all the games are done. Normally I would be locked in for hours watching football this weekend, but this weekend is unlike any other. I'm probably a bigger golf fan than football, and with the Ryder Cup going on in my backyard, football stands no chance. In fact, I'm watching the Ryder Cup right now, and don't plan to move from the couch until this thing is settled.

I do have some picks for this weekend, which I will be checking on in between holes at Valhalla.

Here you go:

10 points: #13 ALABAMA (3-0) v. Arkansas (2-0): Maybe Bama is this good. Bobby Petrino's Razorbacks have squeaked by in their first two wins, but this will be a major test for them. I like the Tide by about 9 or so.

9 points: Central Florida (1-1) v. BOSTON COLLEGE (1-1): Central Florida played a good game vs. South Florida, but I'm throwing that one out since they were obviously amped up because of the rivalry factor. I'm taking the Eagles at home.

8 points: IOWA (3-0) v. Pittsburgh (1-1): Before this season started, you could easily say this was a matchup of two head coaches battling to keep their jobs. After a 3-0 start, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz is on marginally better ground than when the season started. Pittsburgh coach Dave Wannstedt, however, still has a ton of critics after letting his Panthers slip out of the top 25. I'll take Iowa in a pinch.

7 points: Notre Dame (2-0) v. MICHIGAN STATE (2-1): Michigan State seems to have had the Irish's number as of late, and I'm not too impressed by ND's win last week vs. a defenseless Michigan at South Bend. Take the Spartans in this one.

6 points: VIRGINIA TECH (2-1) v. North Carolina (2-0): I think the decision to play QB Tyrod Taylor was the right one for Hokies' coach Frank Beamer - his running/improvisational style fits VT style much better than the drop-back play of backup QB Sean Glennon. Butch Davis has the Tarheels looking good, but I think they drop this one in a very close game.

5 points: #4 Florida (2-0) v. TENNESSEE (1-1): Upset special of the week. I have no justification for picking the Vols here because the Gators are clearly the more talented team. However, strange things always seem to happen in this game. Vols win this game late on a long field goal. At least that's what I'm hoping for, or else I'm going to look like an idiot.

4 points: MIAMI (1-1) v. Texas A&M (1-1): This is a toss-up. I keep hoping the 'Canes will reestablish themselves on the national scene, because college football was great when they were the villians everyone tried in vain to beat. Taking the 'Canes in this one.

3 points: #18 Wake Forest (2-0) v. #25 FLORIDA STATE (2-0): Wake announced their arrival as a player in the ACC a couple years back by winning this game convincingly in Tallahassee. However, I sense that FSU is starting to make somewhat of a revival, and I like them in this game at home.

2 points: #6 LSU (2-0) v. #9 Auburn (3-0): It's awfully tough to take Auburn after their game last week. Their defense looked great, no doubt - but as good as the defense was, the offense was equally anemic. They're going to need more than 3 points to compete against LSU this week, and I'm just not convinced they can score enough to keep pace. Taking the Cajun Tigers here.

1 point: #3 GEORGIA (3-0) v. #24 Arizona State (2-1): A lot of pundits have looked to this game as the early season hiccup that trips up Georgia's quest for a national title. Judging by how Georgia played last week against South Carolina, it seemed as if they were looking ahead to this game, so I definitely don't think they'll be caught off guard. I don't like that they have to travel all the way to Arizona, but I think the Dawgs have the firepower to prevail in this matchup.

Season Record: 22-8

No comments: