Friday, October 24, 2008

CR Dunbar: Breeders' Cup Sprint - Only Time for a Finishing Move

No Usain Bolt in here to run away with this sprint.

The Sprint is always my favorite race to watch and handicap. The gate, the turn and the stretch is all it is with everyone going full tilt. Set it up, feel it out and finish, skip the foreplay.

This year's sprint has several horses gunning for the lead: Fatal Bullet, Fabulous Strike, Blackseventeen and maybe Cost of Freedom and First Defense. In Summation and Sing Baby Sing will try to stalk the pace, while Street Boss and Midnight Lute will drop back. Because of the Santa Anita synthetic track, the speed horses are going to wear down as quickly as an Obama presidency. I think this sets up for the closers.

I would look for Street Boss, who knows the surface and is a quality steed, to finish with a good move. I don't know if the move finishes with twirl or a knuckle though. I'm staying away from Midnight Lute no matter what Trainer Baffert and his cronies say about his comeback.

My Picks
Street Boss to win
In Summation across the board

No comments: