Monday, February 23, 2009

Rusty Reckons: Why I Turned the Race Off

Last night, I turned off the television and didn't watch the last 50 laps or so of the race. As far as I'm concerned, NASCAR didn't deserve being rewarded with my loyalty after Junior went to the garage. My loyalty last night stopped at my driver. It's unfortunate, but I just think NASCAR needs to get real about when they scheduled that race.

It was Oscar night, and NASCAR in it's infinite wisdom decides to start the race at 6:00 p.m. Eastern. What toothbrush dancing chimpanzee came up with that brilliant idea? NASCAR actually is trying to compete against the Academy Awards? I realize there might not be a lot of demographic similarities in these two events, but c'mon!!! If you want to become a major player in the American sports world, you've gotta make smart decisions about when you start/finish races.

Lucky for me, doesn't look like I missed too much. Matt "Snooze" Kenseth won again, making him one of only a handful of drivers to win the 500 and the next race. Las Vegas this coming weekend should be a little better, though. I'll tell ya later in the week how the progressive banking makes for better racing. Before I saunter off to sulk about Junior's position of 35 in the points, I'll comment on what I'm sure you've been waiting for me to write about...the Junior-Vickers incident at Daytona.

Junior did not wreck Vickers intentionally, just like NASCAR said. June bug's the first one to apologize when he's done wrong. He's not afraid to admit he's wrong and apologize. Heck, he's even apologized when it won't his fault. In all his racing career he's been known to be a respectful driver that doesn't go around wrecking people. So, the haters can holler all they want. Junior's reputation speaks for itself. He ain't to blame for Vickers wrecking; Vickers is. Be sure your sins will find you out, Mr. Vickers.

(forward to about the 1:50 mark)




Follow us on Twitter
@HHReynolds or Click Here to get HHR in your inbox.

1 comment:

Taylor said...

earnhardt deserved to miss the end of the race after daytona. he didn't just hit vickers' quarter panel once, but twice. all because he screwed up in the pits twice (him, his crew, whatever) he turned in to whine ass earnhardt instead of sticking with dale.

and the similarities between demographics of nascar fans and academy awards watchers ends at breathing.