In between 3D homerun derby hacks with the PlayStation Move, we talked with Mauer about the Twins getting the hometown discount and how the Players Union felt about it, how long he'll catch, balancing the how much he studies opposing pitchers vs. opposing hitters and a special moment he shared with Mike Piazza.
Here are the images he gazed at when contemplating his place in the pantheon of side-burned catchers.
Due to hit stores on March 8, 2011, just in time for Spring Training, as the only officially licensed first party video game exclusively for the PlayStation®3 (PS3™), PlayStation®2, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), and the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) go systems, MLB 11 The Show is prepared to deliver a one-of-a-kind experience for all fans, new and old.
- Most Realistic Baseball Simulator: MLB 11 delivers true-to-life gameplay, authentic franchise and season modes, and incredible detail not found in any other sports game
- 3D Functionality: Features the most advanced stereoscopic 3D technology, available in all gameplay modes
- PlayStation Move Support: Move functionality in Home Run Derby mode
- Pure Analog Control System: Includes analog controls for hitting, pitching, and throwing
- Co-op Mode: Allows up to four player offline or online cooperative play, users can play 1 vs. 2, 2 vs. 2, or 2 vs. CPU
- Challenge of the Week: A quick, fast paced 2-3 minute, 1-player, online experience, with leader boards and prizes awarded, in 3 tiers
- Road to The Show 5.0: New interactive slider set to the Create Player process, new training modes triggered by the Player Performance Evaluator, Minor League substitution logic improvements, advancement system improvements, and the new No Assist Fielding option
- Eric Karros Joins the Broadcast Booth: Former Dodger first baseman Eric Karros joins franchise veterans Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell to complete the three man crew
- Addt’l New Features: Customizable camera editor, stadium specific broadcast camera angles, stadium specific jumbotrons/fireworks, new rain/cloud coverage weather elements, ADVA setting for players with disabilities, etc.