Friday, October 19, 2007

Rev's Pick'em is Back

At this point, I’m glad this is just for kicks and I don’t have any real cash on the line.

Because if I did, I would have thrown myself in front of an oncoming tractor trailer long ago.

The thing is, I think a lot of people probably feel exactly the same about this crazy, convoluted football season. Nothing – and I mean nothing – has really gone according to plan this year.

For instance look at what happened to the top 3 teams over the past week:

Then No. 1 LSU lost at no. 17 Kentucky

The ink wasn’t even dry on the column where I wrote that LSU was very, very good and that “they were, without a doubt, the top team in the country.”

I need to stop writing that crap. Because it always comes back to haunt me.


Then No. 2 California lost at home to Oregon State

Granted, Cal had to play their no. 2 QB in this game because starting QB Nate Longshore was injured.

Still, this is a pretty ridiculous loss. With USC inexplicably getting upset by Stanford a week before, Cal was is the driver’s seat in the PAC-10 race. All they had to do was take care of business against a not-so-good Oregon State team and move on.


USC is officially off the hook. Plus, with the way other top teams keep losing, it is entirely conceivable (gulp) to see them get back in the national title race. Damn it all.

Soon-to-be-dropping No. 2 South Florida lost at Rutgers

The party was going to come to an end sooner or later.

Plus, this might confirm that Piscataway is, in fact, one of the toughest road venues for ranked teams to pull out a win (see: No. 3 Louisville’s loss last year).


Anyway, I’ve come to the conclusion that I should expect the unexpected this college football season. Too bad it’s taken me eight weeks to realize the folly of my ways.

That’s a roundabout way of saying that I went 3-7 on the picks last week.

As for this week’s picks, here you go:

10 points: USC (5-1) at Notre Dame (1-6)

9 points: Auburn (5-2) at LSU (6-1)

8 points: Michigan (5-2) at ILLINOIS (5-2)

7 points: CALIFORNIA (6-1) at UCLA (4-2)

6 points: FLORIDA (4-2) at Kentucky (6-1)

5 points: Michigan State (5-2) at OHIO STATE (7-0)

4 points: PENN STATE (5-2) at Indiana (5-2)

3 points: Texas Tech (6-1) at MISSOURI (5-1)

2 points: Miami (4-3) at FLORIDA STATE (4-2)

1 point: TENNESSEE (4-2) at Alabama (5-2)

Season Record: 32-29

-posted by Rev. Shaw Moore

1 comment:

Jason said...

Do you think the BCS will finally have no rational reason to switch to a tournament-style championship should all teams end up with a loss? As I count it, there are only 4 teams in the current top 25 who are without a loss (yet)...Ohio State, Boston College, Arizona State, and Hawaii. This is the season of unpredictability...and as a Trojan alum, I'd be happy to see all the teams feel the disappointment and shock we felt against Stanford (thank you Kentucky and Rutgers!).