HHR went 6-4 again last week. Of the 4 losses, three were decided by five points or less. So inch by inch, I feel that we’re pulling closer and closer back to respectability.
Despite losing four games last week, count me as pleased that Notre Dame was one of the four. I’m not a complete Irish hater, but I think it was absolutely remarkable to see Navy win for once in this series. Anyway, on to this week’s picks. Again, several key matchups are on tap this week, and I feel like I’m sticking my neck out on the line picking so many teams on the road …
10 points: USC (7-2) at Cal (6-3): Cal’s season has gone from the sublime to the sewer in just a matter of weeks. They’ve lost 3 straight and are staring down no. 4 directly in the face as the Men of Troy invade Berkeley this weekend. USC hasn’t played up to their usual form, what with QB injuries and possible NCAA sanctions coming down the pike, but they are still one of the most talented teams in the country. I think Cal’s spiral downward continues tomorrow with the Trojans winning by 10 points or more.
9 points: KANSAS (9-0) at Oklahoma State (5-4): Just in case you weren’t watching, the Jayhawks hung 76 points on Nebraska last week to win going away. Kansas is 9-0 for the first time in who knows how long and should be 10-0 after this game. However, watching Lou “Mushmouth” Holtz’s pep talk during last night’s UL-WVU game, ol’ coach brought up an interesting point: the best team Kansas has beaten this year already has 4 losses (both Texas A&M and Kansas State).
8 points: FLORIDA (6-3) at South Carolina (6-4): Three weeks ago, the ol’ Ball Coach had So. Carolina sitting pretty atop the SEC East at 6-1. Since then, they’ve dropped three straight to Vandy, Tennessee, and Arkansas to fall right back in the cellar. Florida will keep them there this weekend.
7 points: Connecticut (8-1) at Cincinnati (7-2): Somebody beat UConn, please. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the fair catch that wasn’t against Louisville. I’m a sore loser.
6 points: AUBURN (7-3) at Georgia (7-2): This game was memorable last year for Auburn QB Brandon Cox suffering a complete physical and mental breakdown against the Dawgs. He completed only 4 of 12 passes for 35 yards, was picked 4 times and had one pick run back for a score. In short, this wasn’t his best game last year.
5 points: Florida State (6-3) at VA TECH (7-2): FSU proved there’s still some life left in the program with last week’s convincing win in Chestnut Hill against previously unbeaten #2 Boston College. However, if this week holds to form, FSU will regress tremendously, turning the ball over at will and letting the Hokies run roughshod over their once-vaunted defense. If I were a betting man, I would stay as far away from this Seminole’s team as possible.
4 points: Texas Tech (7-3) at TEXAS (8-2): Everything’s bigger in Texas, just as the final score will be after this one’s through. “Guns Up” vs. “Hook ‘Em Horns” - lots and lots of points to be scored for sure.
3 points: Illinois (7-3) at OHIO STATE (10-0): In this, the year of the upset, tomorrow’s game could be a huge trap for Ohio State. I have a creeping suspicion that the Zooker and his Illini troops might be able to pull of a shocker here. But for the record, I’m taking the Buckeyes since they’ll be playing at home and with a chance to enter their upcoming game against Michigan undefeated and in the lead for the Big Ten title.
2 points: Wake Forest (6-3) at CLEMSON (7-2): With BC losing last week, the ACC is still up for grabs. By the way, the loser fades off into ACC irrelevancy, which Clemson has branded, trademarked and copyrighted the past several years or so.
1 point: MICHIGAN (8-2) at Wisconsin (7-3): How about Michigan bouncing back from an 0-2 start that would have killed most other teams (see: Notre Dame, 2007 edition). They’re ranked #14 in the country and are tied with Ohio State for top honors in the Big Ten. But like their hated rival Buckeyes, the Wolverines face some kind of a trap game this weekend. Check that – it’s not a trap game, it’s a tough opponent playing at home with nothing left to lose this season. The Wolverines will be in for a big battle in Madison tomorrow.
Season Record: 50-41

No comments:
Post a Comment