Watching that crushing Kentucky – Louisville game last week made me contemplate giving up on this season entirely. Needless to say, the big bounce I was hoping for last week did not materialize.
But given a few days to think about it, I realized that I have a responsibility to right this ship and pick nothing but winners from here on out. 10 and 0 this week, nothing less: (Winning team in bold)
10 points: Washington State (2-1) at USC (2-0) – Washington State played the Trojans close last year, but it should be a blowout in USC’s favor this time around. Calling it 49-10 for the Trojans.
9 points: Iowa (2-1) at WISCONSIN (3-0) – Iowa is supposed to be good, and they certainly pay coach Kirk Ferentz (north of $2m per season) to be good, but they always seem to end up with 4 to 6 losses. Here’s their second of this early season.
8 points: South Carolina (3-0) at LSU (3-0) – A great match-up between two of the biggest smack talking coaches in the SEC. Coach Miles loves to dog other conferences in the NCAA, and Spurrier, well, he just dogs teams in the SEC. Regardless of who wins, the post game press conferences will be fun.
7 points: Connecticut (3-0) at PITT (2-1) – When Big East fans talk about the strength of their conference, they usually don’t mention these two teams.
6 points: Kentucky (3-0) at ARKANSAS (1-1) – One team won in dramatic fashion last week (UK), while the other lost an equally heartbreaking game (Arkansas). This game will be closer than I thought at the beginning of the year, but I give the Hogs a slight edge because they’re playing at home. That and I can never bring myself to pick UK.
5 points: Georgia (2-1) at ALABAMA (3-0) – I jokingly referred to Nick Saban as the devil himself in last week’s column. After leading the Tide in their win over Arkansas last week, I think it’s entirely fair to say the antichrist lives in Tuscaloosa. Bama by a TD.
4 points: PENN STATE (3-0) at Michigan (1-2) – It’s still Michigan.
3 points: TEXAS TECH (3-0) at Oklahoma State (1-2) – Oklahoma State has given up a ton of yards and points through the air so far this season. So what do they get to face this week? Only a team that throws the ball more than pretty much every other team in Division I. Red Raiders win big on the road.
2 points: MARYLAND (2-1) at Wake Forest (1-2) – At this point, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Wake Forest’s success last year was a once-in-a-millennium aberration. It’s a toss-up between them and Duke to see who is the Northwestern of the ACC.
1 points: North Carolina (1-2) at SOUTH FLORIDA (2-0) – In their last tilt, South Florida knocked off perennial SEC power Auburn on the road. Then Auburn lost their next game to Mississippi State, questioning just how good Auburn was to start the season. Regardless, the Bulls should handle UNC and further strengthen their dark horse run to the top of the Big East.
Season Record: 20-10
-posted by Rev. Shaw Moore
No comments:
Post a Comment