Tuesday, September 25, 2007

This Lion has heart (if only his manager had a brain)


Thanks to our friends at 100% Injury Rate for the pic.


From the Verducci report:

"The Joba Rules have expired. The Yankees will use reliever Joba Chamberlain in back-to-back games this week as a dry run for how he'll be used in October. The Yankees will now limit his work based on pitch counts, not innings or appearances. And with all the off days in the new postseason schedule, Chamberlain should be available almost anytime Torre needs him."

I understand Joba is a special kid. I get that he could be the Yankees future #3 (or #2 depending on Phil Hughes) and I am witness to Torre and his (mis)use of the bullpen. But does this even need to be discussed? The Yankees are fighting for possibly the division and the playoffs are a week away. Here is Joba's status...

ALWAYS AVAILABLE.

Unless he pitches an incredible amount of innings for consecutive days, his status is...

ONE FOOT OUT THE BULLPEN DOOR

Depending on how many bench players make the playoff roster, Torre will have to choose for his bullpen (not counting starters) from this bunch: Bruney, Farnsworth, Ramirez, Villone, Viscaino, Henn, Kennedy, Karstens and Rivera. This leaves Chamberlain...

SLEEPING ON THE F'N MOUND (JUST IN CASE)

There is a month left to the baseball year, depending how far the Yankees go. Joba has five months to rest and rehab. He is also 22 years old. When I was 22, I could throw six games of wiffle ball, do thirteen keg stands, work out for eleven hours and get a total of two hours sleep in a week...pop a couple Advil and I was right as rain in the morning.

He will survive. Without him, the Yankees won't.

-posted by Fat Willard

No comments: