Why does every team need a mascot now?
If you say "to appeal to children" I will crack you in the face because kids don't buy tickets, merchandise, cable TV packages, or do any of the things important to make money for a franchise. If you want to keep a kid interested at sporting event, explain the game and show him how to play. If he or she isn't, maybe the sport isn't for them and you should know better shelling out that kind of cash.
Well, not to be outdone by Steeley Mcbeam and the rest of the mascot fraternity, the St. Louis Blues are introducing a saxophone playing bear. They are asking fans to vote on the name. All of the options are vanilla and lame. We have a few of our own and want to put it to a vote for the HHR reader.

Should the new name be:
A.) Stupid
B.) Horn-y
C.) Beary Gay
D.) Fozzy Nuts
E.) Oprah
F.) Teddy Suxbin
It's your call.
-posted by Fat Willard
9 comments:
ok, take 2
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a30/sleahy21/teddy042.jpg
dammit im having problems today...my original comment was "mascot are pure entertainment gold!! the link is when I donned a mascot outfit during an Islander game"
As a Blues fan, I am truly ashamed.
As a Blues fan, you must vote....the smart money is on Fozzy Nuts.
D. Fozzy Nuts
As a Pittsburgh fan, I can't tell you how much I despise Steely McBeam. As does everyone else. Completely unnecessary. Although I must say I do enjoy Igloo, but I think when your team's moniker is an animal, it's alot easier. Otherwise your stuck with Cats playing the fiddle and whatnot.
ah, check that. Penguins mascot is Iceburgh. Apparently I don't like him enough to get his name straight
Mascots don't appeal to children, they appeal to women and children. And casual fans. Basically, they appeal to everyone who doesn't have all that much interest in the game.
(not that women and children can't be interested in the game, of course)
I can forgive successful franchises that have a mascot, but when you are a constant bottom feeder, you should concentrate on the on-field product getting better, and not some college kid in a bear outfit bringing in fans...
Post a Comment