Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Rusty Reflects on 'Dega

Well, it's taken ole Rusty a few days to digest the greatness that was Talladega. What a race!! I really hope y'all tuned in. Usually, the boys will ride around for hours waiting for the opportunity to get positions. Not this year. It seemed like from the moment the green flag dropped until the end everybody, and I mean everybody, was beating and banging, just jockeying for position.

As expected, "The Big One" occurred towards the end of the race and it took out a few great drivers, including my own beloved Dale Jr. Fortunately for me, and his legion of fans, he was still able to manage a top 10 finish, after starting 31st with just a handful of laps to go. HMS Power meets Earnhardt blood!!

But enough about my boy, I'm sure anyone who watched wants to know what ole Rusty thought of the Shrub's questionable pass for the lead. You see, NASCAR rules stipulate that at Daytona and Talladega, a driver cannot advance their position when their car (left side tires) are below the yellow line. It's NASCAR's out of bounds. At 'Dega on Sunday, the Shrub passed for the lead by going below the yellow line. NASCAR did not rule it a penalty because there is an exception when a driver is forced to go below the yellow line (to avoid wrecking).

As far as I can tell most of the pundits, fans, and reporters agree with NASCAR, but ole Rusty's just not sure. If that's what they ruled, that's what they ruled. Human error in rule enforcement is part of sports, but I don't know, just don't seem right to me.

I reckon what comes around, goes around, and Shrub's "checkers or wreckers" driving style will come back to bite him. I just hope he don't mess my boy up doing so.

But now, it's time for a little spit-n-shine for horseys followed by Rusty's favorite track to visit . . . Richmond.

So, y'all come back now, hear?

No comments: