Monday, June 23, 2008

Really? I Mean, Really?

In the late 70's and early 80's, I understand that some exploitative genius figured he could milk has-beens and never-would-bes everywhere who were trying to hold on to their quickly fading youth, with the idea of a professional slo-pitch softball league. No doubt, cocaine had a big influence in this venture.

The American Professional Slow Pitch League (APSPL, 1977-1980), the North American Softball League (NASL, 1980) and the United Professional Softball League (UPSL, 1981-1982) came and went without anyone even noticing.

Fast forward 30 years and this coke and beer-induced dream apparently is close to being realized.

How do I know?

I was half asleep when some ham and egger referring to himself as "Wally Balls" signed off of a national softball television program with (I suppose his catchphrase) "Balls, out."

I woke up assuming I had dreamed the whole thing.

Unfortunately, I didn't.

WorldSoftballLeague.com
is the home of Softball 360, which "is broadcast in 70 million homes every summer, highlighting all of the hot topics in the softball from coast to coast."

You read that right.

I enjoy softball as much as any late 20-year-old-to-balding middle-ager. But I ask you. Who the hell would watch such a thing?

Photo: dogpoundsoftball.com

No comments: