Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mescalade & KO Try Their Hand at Hollywood with Reebok RealFlex

Reebok brought out some big guns recently in Manhattan to tout the release of their brand new RealFlex Shoe and I’m not referring to myself and Kevin Owens, however we were there too. Celebrities Josh Duhamel and Ali Larter were on hand to promote the launch of the shoe with a stunt demo. Two actors that pride themselves on taking on stunts when allowed, they presided over a demonstration that had some trained stunt professionals fall off balconies, leap over large boulders, slide by taxi cabs and crash through faux windows.

While I can’t promise you the shoes will help you do all the above, they will bring a new take to your workout routine. The third in a series of three releases by Reebok over the last couple of years the shoes seem to get you as close to the barefoot running trend that has taken off while also still keeping you in a legitimate pair of sneakers. The “flex” part of the name in these kicks is no joke as you can literally bend them in half. Super lightweight they come equipped with 76 different sensors on the bottom of the sole, something artfully played on in the national commercial now airing.

Without weighing you down in shoe science or a trip to podiatry school the seeming goal of the shoe is to return running to the balls of your feet rather than putting stress on your heels. Way back in the day, think pre Plymouth Rock, we were likely meant to run barefoot. Most people when shoeless tend to go off the balls of their feet, something not seen when wearing well padded running shoes. Since we now live in a world full of very hard surfaces these shoes aim to find a happy medium of giving you cushion for all conditions while also encouraging your running style to revert back to the days of yore.

I took them out for a spin on the stunt track and they worked well in clearing fake boulders and tackling a mini tramp. A three mile run the next day found the shoes definitely bring you closer to the road while also taking some pressure of your heels. Like any shoe a few more runs will bare out the true results.

As for the event itself, it was a spectacle of media folks decked out in the new shoes trying their hand at activities we all haven’t attempted in years including the old ‘let me see if I can jump over that downed tree’. Those on hand were able to witness Kevin Owens aka WaitingForGodunk vault off the mini-trampoline and through a fictional window. You don't find too many 6'10" stunt men these days and with Kevin recently announcing his retirement there could be another career in the works. Or should I ever realize the dream of owning my own SlamBall franchise, I already know my first pick.

On the sports side of things post event we were able to catch up with Duhamel, who despite roots in pro-sports barren North Dakota is quite the fan. He’s a Lakers guy these days, who pulls for Phil Jackson (a fellow ND native) and made a strong move into acting when like many of us (Not Kevin), reality struck that he would not be a pro athlete. He chimed in on a wide variety of topics.


Favorite player growing up…

George Gervin, I used to have a George Gervin poster on my wall

Seeing games in person…

I remember seeing Iverson play, he is one of my all time favorite. He is so quick, no wasted movements. Same with Steve Nash, because they are a little bit shorter, every move, they almost see it before it happens.

Favorite player today…

I love Kobe, he’s just an assassin out there, he’s an alpha alpha male.

Favorite seats at a basketball game…

I like to sit up in the stands a little bit, I don’t like to be right down on the floor. You are in a fishbowl.

Hopes for this year’s playoffs…

I’d like to see the Heat get beat, I didn’t like all the shit talking last year. The pep rally in Miami, that was too much.

On Phil Jackson leaving…rumors he’d go to New York

It seems like it (he’s leaving), you never know. I’d hate to see him leave. I’d like to see New York come back, and be strong again, they are getting there.

On playing an athlete in a movie or TV show…


That’s always been one of my dreams, before I get too old. (Told he could play Phil Jackson) I could maybe coach, but yeah there’s always been a real desire to play either a football player or baseball player or even basketball. I don’t know how believable I’d be as a competitive basketball player.

On the Reebok RealFlex sneakers…

These are like the barefoot shoes but only better. In a realistic world you wouldn’t be able to run around in barefeet, in nature you can but I think this is the answer to that.

On the fun of doing stunt demonstrations…

You are a little exposed, normally I like to make people think I’m really good at these so now they are probably getting an idea that I’m not.

How improve training benefited his acting…

Just to listen, you need somebody opposite of you listening and somebody to listen to. If not you are just in a scene by yourself and the scene is probably gonna suck.

On having to have Reebok Pumps growing up…

You weren’t going to be any good at basketball if you don’t have a couple of pumps in there.

Follow us on Twitter@HHReynolds or Click Here to get HHR in your inbox.