Thursday, March 20, 2008

Last Night's Other AI

While Allen Iverson's return to Philly ignited the Wachovia Center, American Idol apparently was also on last night.

Even die-hard fan Ariel is very lukewarm on this season. Personally, I cannot stomach the males on the show. They make me physically ill.

The girls are only slightly better.

Last night Amanda Overmyer got the boot, describing her problem as being her self-perception as "a square peg in a round hole."

Frankly, I think it was more she was a one-trick pony that showed little depth or creativity. Her voice was unique and interesting at times, but it seemed more a poor Joplin impression at best. She seemed to overhype herself as a "rocker," and her tone and mannerisms got old. That said, she was much more bearable, and masculine for that matter, than any single guy on the show.

Unfortunately (for me at least), her dismissal means I missed out on someone actually singing a creative and different song:
If there had been a next week on Idol for Overmyer, she said she would have belted "On the Dark Side," a John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band cut from the cult movie Eddie and the Cruisers.
Which, is only the best movie ever made.

So, while I didn't care for her styling after a while (while, admittedly at first I was intrigued by it), I wish her luck. And invite her to pound beers and shots with the HHR crew.

No comments: