Thursday, July 17, 2008

Where's the Backlash?

I've waited on posting my thoughts on the topic, only because I was certain that after the Becky Hammon "controversy" that came about with her joining the Russian National team, people would soon turn their patriotic wrath against Chris Kaman.

It never happened.

So in case you weren't aware, the Grand Rapids, Michigan-native has been lighting up the courts for the German team alongside actual German Dirk Nowitzki.


So why were we so adamant in chastising Hammon?

Was it because she did it for the money?

What's more American than capitalism? At least Becky lives more than half the year in Russia.

Kaman, whose great-grandparents were German, became a German just this month and to my knowledge really has no other ties to the country.

Yet, we hear not a peep of criticism. No OTL specials. No coaches criticizing his Americanism.

I personally don't fault either athlete for their choice to play ball elsewhere. But I do fault critics for having a double standard.

1 comment:

Metfan22 said...

I'm not an expert on the Kaman situation, but I know some things about Becky Hammon since I used to be a fan. I think a big difference is the fact that Becky turned down an invitation for the USA Team and then complained she never got a chance to make the team, in order to justify her being a mercenary for the Russians. Another thing is the fact that she is trying to play the victim in this whole situation when she makes hundreds of thousands a year to play a kids game. People say she plays several months a year in Russia and assume she has been doing that for a long time, but she hasn't, last season being her first. The only reason she went there is to get a chance to play on the Olympic team there. She has no ancestral ties there and as far as i know has no plans to live there when her contract is up in a few years. At least Kaman has ancestral ties to his country and isn't hiring himself out to the team that will pay him the most money, and then saying " No one can judge my patriotism ".